Asparagus mac ‘n’ cheese with bacon crumble recipe
This quick and easy recipe from British Asparagus is a new twist on the old classic. The prep only takes 15 minutes, then you can let it bubble away in the oven, making it the ideal supper or family meal.
8 rashers streaky bacon
150g cheddar cheese
2 bunches British asparagus (spears trimmed and cut in half)
40g plain flour
2 tsp dijon mustard
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Heat the grill and cook the bacon on each side until very crisp.
- Chop the bacon into small chunks. Combine with the bread crumbs and ¼ of the cheese then set aside.
- Fill a large pan with water and bring to the boil. Add a pinch of salt and the macaroni. Cook for 9 minutes then add the asparagus and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- While the macaroni is cooking, melt the butter in a small thick-based saucepan. Sprinkle in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for a minute, continuing to stir then add the milk a little at a time, stirring continuously so it is absorbed into the flour and slowly makes a smooth sauce. If you get any lumps, don’t panic, just beat vigorously with the wooden spoon and they’ll disperse.
- Stir in the mustard, some black pepper and the remaining cheese.
- Once the macaroni and asparagus are cooked, drain well and return them to the pan. Pour over the cheese sauce and stir to coat well.
- Tip the macaroni into a large oven dish, sprinkle over the breadcrumb mixture and return to the grill for the top to melt and brown.